Forest Concepts has been the recipient of many competitive and prestigious awards. These awards acknowledge our work to improving the bioeconomy by providing innovative solutions that solve big world problems.
Notable Awards and Recognition
- 2021 50 Hottest Companies in the Bioeconomy. Awarded by Bioefuels Digest.
- 2021 AE50 Award. Awarded for the Hemp Dryer Model 1.
- 2019 AE50 Award. Awarded for the Crumbler® P24M-150e-2 biomass and wood chip precision feedstock processing system.
- 2019 King County Executive’s Small Business Awards – Finalist in the Green/Sustainable Small Business Category. One of four small businesses recognized for creation and implementation of sustainable business practices.
- 2017 AE50 Award. Awarded for the Crumbler® M24ci Chipmuncher™.
- 2015 AE50 Award. Awarded for Crumbles® precision feedstocks.
- 2012 Top 150 Companies in Bioenergy (from Biofuels Digest). Awarded to the top 150 companies in the bioenergy industry for their innovation and achievement.
- 2008 Rain Bird Engineering Concept of the Year Award (ASABE). Awarded to Jim Dooley for his development of WoodStraw™ wood strand erosion control.
- 2007 Brahm and Sudha Verma Lifetime Visionary Award from the Institute of Biological Engineering. Awarded to Jim Dooley for his contributions to the biological engineering profession. This is the Institute of Biological Engineering’s highest honor. Dooley was only the second recipient to receive this prestigious award in a 10-year time span.
- 2006 AE50 Award. Awarded for WoodStraw™ wood strand erosion control.
- 2004 AE50 Award. Awarded for Multi-Modal Wood Bunks for Small Diameter Roundwood.
Federally Funded Research and Development Contracts
Below is a list of federal contracts that Forest Concepts has secured over the years. Please note that this list does not include pending contracts or contracts where Forest Concepts has been a partner to another lead entity.
|SBIR Program Competitive Awards to Forest Concepts||Role||Agency Sponsor||Start Year||Status||Amount ($)|
|Preheating of Cold, High Moisture Particulate Biomaterials to Reduce Drying Time||PI||DOE EERE BETO||2020||Current||$400,000|
|Improved Biomass Feedstock Materials Handling and Feeding Engineering Data Sets, Design Methods, and Modeling/Simulation Tools||PI||DOE EERE BETO||2018||Current||$1,479,033|
|Analytical Modeling of Biomass Transport and Feeding Systems||Partner||DOE EERE BETO||2018||Current||$90,000|
|Bio-crude Production and Upgrading to Renewable Diesel||Co-PI||DOE EERE BETO||2019||Current||$224,479|
|Economic, Risk and Life Cycle Analysis of Woody Biomass Feedstock Logistics Systems in the Southeast US||Partner||USDA NIFA AFRI||2020||Current||$15,000|
|Cool GTL Production of Jet Fuel from Biogas||Partner||DOE EERE BETO||2019||Current||$51,899|
|Achieving High Operation Reliability for Continuous Feeding of Biomass into High-Pressure Reactors||Sponsor||DOE EERE BETO||2018||Current||N/A|
|Understanding and Mitigating Wear Issues of the Biomass Rotary Shear Comminution Systems||Sponsor||DOE EERE BETO||2018||Current||N/A|
|Low Energy Rotary Shear for Sub-millimeter Particle Production||PI||DOE Office of Science – EERE BETO||2016||Completed||$2,150,000|
|Advanced Dryer for High-Diffusion Rate Biomass||PI||USDA NIFA SBIR||2017||Completed||$100,000|
|Model Based Control for Dryer Energy Conservation||Co-PI||USDA NIFA||2015||Completed||$499,997|
|Model Based Control for Dryer Energy Conservation||PI||USDA NIFA SBIR||2014||Completed||$599,997|
|Low Energy Comminution of Herbaceous Crops||PI||USDA NIFA SBIR||2013||Completed||$100,000|
|Process Intensification Through Improved Dryer Engineering Data and Design||PI||DOE Office of Science – EERE BETO||2012||Completed||$150,000|
|Optimization and Low Energy Production of Woody Biomass Particles||PI||DOE Office of Science – EERE BETO||2009||Completed||$1,099,999|
|Beneficiation of Chipped and Shredded Woody Biomass||PI||USDA NIFA SBIR||2008||Completed||$430,000|
|Appropriate Technology Woody Biomass Collection Systems for Bioenergy and Biobased Products||PI||USDA NIFA SBIR||2005||Completed||$375,882|
|Marketing and Logistics System for Roundwood Component Kits and Materials||PI||USDA NIFA SBIR||2004||Completed||$375,359|
|Wood-Strand Erosion Control Material||PI||USDA NIFA SBIR||2002||Completed||$375,824|